What are the health benefits of eating high-fiber foods for breakfast?

Fiber is the smart way to fuel up for your day. It’s how I start my mine. High-fiber foods, like whole grains, fruits, veggies and legumes, fill you up longer and control your blood sugar levels -- so there is no spike, and there is no crash. Additionally, fiber keeps you regular and boosts colon health. A recent study even found that people who consumed a great amount of fiber actually lived longer.

Going high-fiber, and this applies to all your meals, makes you feel full and light at the same time. Now, that's a novel idea worth sharing, isn't it? (It'd be selfish not to.) That's how fiber's designed to work. There is no rock in your stomach, not to mention, no room for regret.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Coconut Oil: Why You Should Question the Hype
Coconut oil is being touted as a cure-all in many health circles—but is it actually beneficial to your health? Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle M...
How can good nutrition help me build my self-esteem?
Carol CottrillCarol Cottrill
Good nutrition enriches every aspect our lives. We know that by selecting the most nutritious food w...
What is the best day of the week to go grocery shopping?
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDFrances Largeman-Roth, RD
When it comes to grocery shopping, the Mamas and Papas were right: Monday, Monday, just can't tr...
For Better Blood Sugar, Love Your Lentils