What are the ideal amounts on a nutrition label?

Toby Smithson

A quick guide to reading labels looking at the nutrients section is the 5-20 Rule. 5% or less is considered low in the Daily value of nutrients and you should use this amount for nutrients you want to limit like fat and sodium. 20% or more is considered high and you want to look for foods high in the Daily Value for those nutrients you may need more of such as potassium and fiber.

Ximena Jimenez
The ideal amounts of nutrients on a nutrition label may vary depending on the food you are buying.
  • When it comes to breads, you want to aim for 2 grams of fiber or more.
  • Cereals you want to select ones with 5 grams or more of fiber.
  • For canned foods, buy the "low sodium: which is equivalent to 140 mg per serving.
  • Lean meats contain less than 10 grams of fat and less than 4 grams of saturated fat are good choices.
  • You want to limit nutrients such as: fat, cholesterol and sodium. In general, foods are considered low fat when they have 3 grams or less per serving; low sodium 140 milligrams or less/serving; low cholesterol 20 mg or less.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Q: I read that the weed killer glyphosate—the one found responsible for causing cancer in that groundskeeper in California—is showing up in breakfast ...
What does a registered dietitian (RD) do?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Your healthcare providers may refer you to a registered dietitian (RD) to help you make changes to y...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Are Whole Foods and Why Should I Eat Them?