What are the main ingredients in chocolate?

Chocolate contains three main stimulating and pleasure-producing compounds: caffeine, cannabinoids and phenylethylamine. Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and triggers in the brain the release of the pleasure-producing chemicals dopamine and adenosine. Cannabinoids are fatty acids that cause feelings of relaxation and intoxication when they strike certain receptors in the brain. Phenylethylamine, or the love drug, releases the same chemicals introduced into the human body when someone is in love.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Understanding Sugar: Added Vs. Natural
Understanding Sugar: Added Vs. Natural
Photo Credit: Paul, via Flickr Creative Commons Everyone’s talking about sugar’s impact on our health. The bulk of research that links sugar consumpt...
How can my diet affect my hair?
Kimberly SnyderKimberly Snyder
To keep your hair shiny and healthy, eat a diet that's high in protein and healthy fats, says clinic...
What is a nutritional cleanse?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
During a nutritional cleanse, you are creating the ideal conditions for the body's cleansing and det...
How Does Pepsi Make a Difference in Global Hunger?