What are some dangers of fast food and junk food?

Two new developments should convince a person to avoid the temptations of junk and fast food once and for all. To wit:
  • One single junk-food meal can damage a person's arteries. One high-saturated-fat fast-food meal can seriously strain one's cardiovascular system, according to Canadian researchers. The main damage was to vascular endothelium, the inner lining of blood vessels.
  • High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is associated with increasing global obesity rates. A study published in Global Public Health found that countries that use HFCS in their food supply had a 20% higher rate of diabetes than countries that didn’t use it.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Intermittent Fasting: What Really Happens to Your Body
Diet trends come and go. Few stay popular for long, and even fewer are real keepers—healthy, sustainable eating plans designed to keep weight off and ...
Do registered dietitians specialize in different populations?
Dan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDNDan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDN
Yes, registered dietitians can and do specialize in providing medical nutrition therapy and nutritio...
What does Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) mean?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
I’ll explain RDI -- a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) term -- but first I’ll offer some backgroun...
How Important Is Nutrition in Terms of Health?