What are accessory nutrients?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Some nutrients are not considered essential in the same manner that vitamins and minerals are. Among these are amino acids and their derivatives -- essential fatty acids, phospholipids, compounds that exert "vitamin-like" activity, and substances that are part of normal physiology. More and more research indicates that accessory nutrients, although most are not considered "essential" in the classical sense, play a major role in preventing and treating illness.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
What are some health risks of eating fish?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Much like the concerns around meat, the challenges pertaining to fish consumption deal with the ...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Can I Use As a Healthy Salt Substitute?