What are accessory nutrients?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Some nutrients are not considered essential in the same manner that vitamins and minerals are. Among these are amino acids and their derivatives -- essential fatty acids, phospholipids, compounds that exert "vitamin-like" activity, and substances that are part of normal physiology. More and more research indicates that accessory nutrients, although most are not considered "essential" in the classical sense, play a major role in preventing and treating illness.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Heard about the unpleasant reactions some people may have to monosodium glutamate (MSG)? Well, here's another potential drawback: weight gain. In a C...
What is the difference between a registered dietitian and a nutritionist?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics states the following:The “RD” credential is a legally protect...
What is the role of micronutrients in the body?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Micronutrients, which are vitamins and minerals, are extremely important for good health. Vitamins a...
What Should I Consider When Eating Products That Contain Agave?