Can I take tryptophan if I am breastfeeding?

Do not take tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) if you're breast-feeding. No one knows yet whether it's safe to do so.

Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned, and although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe for anyone to take.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Will a Daily Dose of Apple Cider Vinegar Really Improve Your Health?
If you spend any time on the internet or social media, you’ve likely run across a health influencer touting the benefits of apple cider vinegar (ACV)....
Will eating breakfast improve my health?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
A recent study among men found an association between eating breakfast and a decreased risk of heart...
How can I help restore my body's acid-alkaline balance?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You can help restore your body's acid-alkaline balance by having at least two alkaline-forming foods...
What Solutions Will Help Us Feed the World's Population?