Can I take tryptophan if I am breastfeeding?

Do not take tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) if you're breast-feeding. No one knows yet whether it's safe to do so.

Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned, and although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe for anyone to take.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Coconut Oil: Why You Should Question the Hype
Coconut oil has become an increasingly popular “super food” over the years, with some people claiming it can cure everything from heart disease to Alz...
Can my diet affect my mood?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
The foods you eat can have a big impact on your blood sugar and energy levels. Watch this video ...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Are Health Benefits of Quinoa?
What Are Health Benefits of Quinoa?