How are sodium levels regulated in my body?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Sodium levels are regulated by the kidney and adrenal gland. The adrenal gland produces a hormone called aldosterone that tells the kidneys how much sodium to retain. When either sodium or potassium becomes unbalanced, the kidney may expend the other electrolyte to maintain a balance. In kidney disease, this balancing function is lost and electrolyte imbalance occurs, causing problems with electrical conduction throughout the body, including the muscles, nerves, and heart.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
What is nutritional counseling?
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
Nutritional counseling allows nutrition to truly be approached individually. A lot of nutrition plan...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Is Coconut Water Beneficial?
Is Coconut Water Beneficial?