How does silicon help keep my body healthy?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Silicon is responsible for cross-linking collagen strands, thereby contributing greatly to the strength and integrity of the connective tissue matrix of bone. Since silicon concentrations are increased at calcification sites in growing bone, this process may be dependent upon adequate levels of silicon. It is not known whether the typical American diet provides adequate amounts of silicon. In patients with osteoporosis, or where accelerated bone regeneration is desired, silicon requirements may be increased. Although no official RDA for silicon has been set, 20 to 50 mg per day has been recommended to meet fundamental requirements. An increased need for silicon is best met by increasing the consumption of unrefined grains, as they are a rich source of absorbable silicon (silicic acid).

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Healthy Replacements for Your Favorite Unhealthy Meals
Movies about food are as common as indigestion after a greasy meal. Some, like Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs, make it clear that when unhealthy fo...
How can I help restore my body's acid-alkaline balance?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You can help restore your body's acid-alkaline balance by having at least two alkaline-forming foods...
Will eating breakfast improve my health?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
A recent study among men found an association between eating breakfast and a decreased risk of heart...
Is Counting Calories Important for Weight Loss?