Who should not take carnitine?

Talk to your doctor before taking supplemental carnitine if you have cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease or peripheral vascular disease. You may need to avoid carnitine supplements or may have to take an adjusted dose. You do not necessarily need to take additional carnitine if your body is able to produce a sufficient amount. Most people do not require these supplements.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
From rice and apple juice to beer and infant formula, a growing variety of foods and drinks are turning out to contain arsenic. At high levels, or ove...
What treatment can I expect from my dietitian?
Alberta ScruggsAlberta Scruggs
You can expect professional, personalized and non-judgmental care from a dietitian. A dietitian has ...
How does silicon help keep my body healthy?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Silicon is responsible for cross-linking collagen strands, thereby contributing greatly to the stren...
What Are Health Benefits of Whole-Grain Pastas?