What should seniors know before taking tryptophan?

Before taking tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan), seniors should know that it can have severe, even life-threatening interactions with a number of drugs. These include antidepressants that work by boosting the effects of the neurotransmitter serotonin, such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and others. Drugs that can interact dangerously also include some used to relax you or help you sleep, to relieve anxiety and muscle spasms, or to prevent seizures, such as clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien) and others. Severe interactions are also considered possible for some painkillers, antipsychotics, and cough medicines. Seniors who take any prescription drug or any dietary supplement should check with their doctor before taking tryptophan.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

How Eating Green Helps Prevent Colon Cancer
Gang Green Nation is fan-central for the New York Jets football team. But since gangrene is also the name for limb-threatening cell death, fans may ha...
What problems can arise if I don’t get enough micronutrients in my diet?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Countless problems can arise from not getting enough of these micronutrients in the diet. Here are j...
What does a registered dietitian (RD) do?
A registered dietitian (RD) is a graduate of an accredited undergraduate dietetics program, has comp...
What Do You Eat When You Go Out for Lunch?