What is the role of nut and seed oils in my body?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Nuts and seeds have long been used as a source of oils for culinary, medicinal, and cosmetic purposes. For culinary purposes, oils can be used in salad dressings and sauces, in baking, and in cooking. Some oils offer advantages over others for certain applications. For example, olive, macadamia nut, coconut, sesame, and canola oil are more stable than other oils, so they are preferred for use when exposing foods to heat. Canola oil is made from rapeseeds by removing a toxic oil called erucic acid. This oil has gained incredible popularity in a short time because it is being promoted for its high level (7 percent) of omega-3 oils. Highly polyunsaturated oils, such as flaxseed, safflower, soy, and sunflower, are not recommended if they are going to be exposed to heat because the heat changes the chemical structures of the fatty acids and forms free radicals. These oils are best suited for salad dressings. Still other oils are best avoided altogether, specifically, trans-fatty acids, partially hydrogenated oils, and cottonseed oil.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Intermittent Fasting: What Really Happens to Your Body
Diet trends come and go. Few stay popular for long, and even fewer are real keepers—healthy, sustainable eating plans designed to keep weight off and ...
What is nutritional genomics or nutrigenomics?
Brian TanzerBrian Tanzer
Nutrigenomics is the study of how food and its many bioactive components influence gene expression. ...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Does Skipping Breakfast Affect My Weight?