What is the role of nut and seed oils in my body?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Nuts and seeds have long been used as a source of oils for culinary, medicinal, and cosmetic purposes. For culinary purposes, oils can be used in salad dressings and sauces, in baking, and in cooking. Some oils offer advantages over others for certain applications. For example, olive, macadamia nut, coconut, sesame, and canola oil are more stable than other oils, so they are preferred for use when exposing foods to heat. Canola oil is made from rapeseeds by removing a toxic oil called erucic acid. This oil has gained incredible popularity in a short time because it is being promoted for its high level (7 percent) of omega-3 oils. Highly polyunsaturated oils, such as flaxseed, safflower, soy, and sunflower, are not recommended if they are going to be exposed to heat because the heat changes the chemical structures of the fatty acids and forms free radicals. These oils are best suited for salad dressings. Still other oils are best avoided altogether, specifically, trans-fatty acids, partially hydrogenated oils, and cottonseed oil.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Heard about the unpleasant reactions some people may have to monosodium glutamate (MSG)? Well, here's another potential drawback: weight gain. In a C...
What do meal bars and shakes do for my diet and exercise plan?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Meal bars and shakes can be used in a healthy diet and exercise plan as a supplement to a healthy di...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?