If I am pregnant, is it safe to take tryptophan?

Do not take tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) if you're pregnant. It can cause serious breathing problems for your fetus.

Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned. Although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Hypertension: Salt Still Matters
Hypertension: Salt Still Matters
Photo Credit: Peppered Jane, via Flickr Creative Commons When does following a low-salt diet really matter? Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish...
Why should I avoid non-fat salad dressing?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Salad dressing is more than a way to make greens taste better, they’re important for nutrient uptake...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?