How much fiber should I have in my diet?

Rebecca Katz, MS
You should have 25 grams of fiber a day, and there are many delicious ways to get these nutrients through food. In this video, culinary nutritionist Rebecca Katz, MS, suggests some healthy options for getting the recommended amount of fiber. 
Marisa Moore
The current recommendations for dietary fiber are 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men who are age 50 or younger. For women and men older than 50, the recommendations decrease to 21 grams and 30 grams, respectively.

Unfortunately, the average American gets just 15 grams of fiber per day. So, there's plenty of room for improvement.
Most medical professionals recommend that you have at least 25 grams of fiber a day. Fiber helps you to feel fuller and helps with digestion. Most foods have the fiber content listed on the nutritional label.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Nutrition

Nutrition

Eating a variety of foods each day that are low in fat and calories ensures you get proper nutrition and nutrients like folate, magnesium and iron. Calcium, fiber, potassium and selenium are other nutrients essential for wellness, ...

growth, development, cell repair and disease prevention. Colorful foods, such as fruits and vegetables, are often the richest sources of nutrients. Taking a multivitamin once daily is a good way to supplement your diet.