How much fiber should I have in my diet?

Rebecca Katz, MS
You should have 25 grams of fiber a day, and there are many delicious ways to get these nutrients through food. In this video, culinary nutritionist Rebecca Katz, MS, suggests some healthy options for getting the recommended amount of fiber. 
Marisa Moore
The current recommendations for dietary fiber are 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men who are age 50 or younger. For women and men older than 50, the recommendations decrease to 21 grams and 30 grams, respectively.

Unfortunately, the average American gets just 15 grams of fiber per day. So, there's plenty of room for improvement.
Most medical professionals recommend that you have at least 25 grams of fiber a day. Fiber helps you to feel fuller and helps with digestion. Most foods have the fiber content listed on the nutritional label.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Heard about the unpleasant reactions some people may have to monosodium glutamate (MSG)? Well, here's another potential drawback: weight gain. In a C...
What are macronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Macronutrients are energy-providing chemical substances we consume in large quantities. There are th...
What do meal bars and shakes do for my diet and exercise plan?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Meal bars and shakes can be used in a healthy diet and exercise plan as a supplement to a healthy di...
How Can Exercise Help Me Avoid Hitting a Weight-Loss Plateau?