Is carnitine regulated by the FDA?

Prescription carnitine is regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a drug, which is given to premature infants and people with certain diseases.

In the form of a dietary supplement, however, carnitine is regulated by the FDA as food -- which means the agency does not require that the manufacturer prove it is either safe or effective. If a nutritional supplement proves to be unsafe, however, the FDA can remove it from the market.

The FDA also does not evaluate health claims made about dietary supplements. It is up to consumers to educate themselves about evidence and brands before buying supplements.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Well-Balanced Meals Help Create Well-Balanced Relationships
In Sam Peckinpah’s 1969 western, The Wild Bunch, Pike (William Holden), Dutch (Ernest Borgnine), and Deke (Robert Ryan) were former members of a bank-...
What are carotenoids?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Carotenoids are the yellow-red pigments that give carrots, butternut squash, and cantaloupe their vi...
What nutrients can be found in orange foods?
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDFrances Largeman-Roth, RD
Orange foods, including butternut squash, sweet potatoes and mangoes, are a rich source of beta-caro...
Should I Include Dairy Products in My Diet?