If I am pregnant, is it safe to use carnitine?

Pregnant women should not use carnitine, an amino acid that's used for many different purposes, including enhancing sports performance (there's no proof that it works) and improving some heart conditions (for which there's some evidence it may be helpful). However, since there's not enough research proving that the compound is safe during pregnancy, women who are expecting should steer clear of it. If you have a carnitine deficiency, speak with your doctor about treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Coconut Oil: Why You Should Question the Hype
Coconut oil is being touted as a cure-all in many health circles—but is it actually beneficial to your health? Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle M...
Can I take medical nutrition products with food?
Medical nutrition products, such as PediaSure and Peptamen, can be taken as a full meal or as a supp...
How does silicon help keep my body healthy?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Silicon is responsible for cross-linking collagen strands, thereby contributing greatly to the stren...
What Are the Health Benefits of Phytochemicals?