If I am pregnant, is it safe to use carnitine?

Pregnant women should not use carnitine, an amino acid that's used for many different purposes, including enhancing sports performance (there's no proof that it works) and improving some heart conditions (for which there's some evidence it may be helpful). However, since there's not enough research proving that the compound is safe during pregnancy, women who are expecting should steer clear of it. If you have a carnitine deficiency, speak with your doctor about treatment options.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Need to Be Careful With Leftover Rice
Jerry Rice, the Hall-of Fame wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers, has three Super Bowl rings and more records than Frank Sinatra (almost). He’s ...
Why should I avoid artificial food coloring?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
Food dyes have garnered enough controversy and research to deem them unsafe for consumption as noted...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Is There a New Generation of Physicians Pushing a More Healthy Diet?