How should I take tryptophan?

Tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) is generally taken orally (by mouth), although it has been given intravenously in some studies. It doesn't matter if you take it with or without food. How much you should take depends on why you're taking it. Always follow the directions of your doctor.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

10 Reasons to See a Dietitian That Aren’t About Weight Loss
If you’re struggling with a chronic illness, chances are you have regular appointments with your oncologist, cardiologist or gastroenterologist. If yo...
How do nutrients affect neurotransmission?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
Neurotransmission is a process which is dependent on having adequate "ingredients" to synthesize neu...
What foods can change my mood?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
Foods that can change your mood for the better include complex carbs, and foods that are rich in ome...
Should We Be Concerned About Eating Processed Foods?