How can I read a meat label?

Toby Smithson

New regulations on meat labeling began in January 2012. Prior to this single ingredient raw foods were not required to bear a nutrition facts label but now you will find a label on the package or on “point of purchase” signs. With these labels you can now view how much protein and fat based on a 4 ounce serving of raw meat. This is a helpful tool to use especially if you have heart disease or diabetes. Keep in mind this value is representing the raw meat and not including any food prep.

The front of most food labels are product advertising that can be misleading. Learn how to read meat labels in this video by Dr. Oz, Lisa Lee Freeman, and David Zinczenko.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Lose the “Secret Salt” Hiding in Your Food
Moviegoers love a good secret. There are more than 200 movies with the word “Secret” in the title—including, we kid you not, The Secret Lives of Denti...
What foods can I eat that will help keep me cool?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Looking for a natural, nutritional way to cool down during the hot days of July and August? Foods th...
Where can I find a dietitian who would help me gain weight?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
There are many places to find a registered dietitian (RD). Many RDs are working in the outpatient de...
What Is the Role of Copper in my Body?
What Is the Role of Copper in my Body?