How much sugar is in yogurt?

The "sugars" on the Nutrition Facts panel of yogurts include both naturally occurring and added sugars. Lactose in milk and yogurt is actually a sugar, so these products will contain some naturally occurring sugar.

Plain yogurt has no added sugar, yet a 6 ounce (oz) container has about 12 grams of naturally occurring sugar in the form of lactose.

Fruit-flavored yogurt varies in the amount of sugar added, so it's important that you read the Nutrition Facts panel. On average, the added fruit and sweeteners contribute about 14 grams of sugar, making the total sugars about 26 grams in a 6 oz container.

Light yogurts typically use low-calorie sweeteners to cut back on sugar and calories. These yogurts have about 12 to 14 grams of sugar per 6 oz serving.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
What are healthy fish to eat?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
Wild or sustainably farmed low-mercury seafood such as clams, crab, flounder, herring, oyster, perch...
How can I get a list of alkaline and acid foods?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Foods that are good sources of alkaline include lemons and limes, tropical fruits, and green vegetab...
Dr. Julie Chen Shares Some Tips
Dr. Julie Chen Shares Some Tips