How much fiber do legumes like beans, peas, and lentils contain?

Toby Smithson

Some of the highest food sources of fiber come from legumes. One half cup serving of cooked kidney, black or pinto beans contain 8 grams of fiber; one half cup cooked white beans or chickpeas contain 6 grams of fiber. One half cup of cooked lentils contains 5 grams of fiber and one half cup cooked split peas contain 4 grams of fiber. In addition to these legumes being a great source of fiber they are also a good source of plant based protein which is low in fat and contains no cholesterol.

Emilia Klapp
Beans, peas, and lentils are among the richest sources of dietary fiber. Take a look at these serving sizes:
  • Baked, kidney, black, white, and pinto beans: 12 g to 17 g of fiber per cup.
  • Split peas, cooked: more than 16 g per cup.
  • Lentils: more than 16 g per cup.
  • Lima beans, soybeans, and chickpeas: about 10 g to 12 g per cup.
  • Frozen green peas, cooked: about 9 g per cup.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
How can I help restore my body's acid-alkaline balance?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You can help restore your body's acid-alkaline balance by having at least two alkaline-forming foods...
Do registered dietitians specialize in different populations?
Dan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDNDan Munford MS CSSD EP-C CSCS CPT RDN
Yes, registered dietitians can and do specialize in providing medical nutrition therapy and nutritio...
What Can I Use As a Healthy Salt Substitute?