How much calcium and vitamin D do older adults need per day?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Calcium and vitamin D intake might still be inadequate for many older people even if they take a multivitamin, because few foods contain sufficient calcium and vitamin D to satisfy dietary requirements. Although vitamin D can easily be obtained through exposure to sunlight, many of us don't get enough. Therefore, adding 500 mg of elemental calcium three times a day and at least 600 international units (I.U.) per day of vitamin D for older adults is recommended.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Will a Daily Dose of Apple Cider Vinegar Really Improve Your Health?
If you spend any time on the internet or social media, you’ve likely run across a health influencer touting the benefits of apple cider vinegar (ACV)....
How much fiber should I eat per day if I have diabetes?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The recommendation of fiber intake is the same as for the general population. The guidelines come fr...
What are the main ingredients in chocolate?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Chocolate contains three main stimulating and pleasure-producing compounds: caffeine, cannabinoids a...
Are Cereal Bars a Healthy Meal Replacement?