How can I eat healthier at burger chains?

Judy Caplan
Burger chains are making a comeback and popping up everywhere. It is getting easier to eat more healthfully at burger chains. First off, get rid of the fries. Even sweet potato fries. All fries, unless baked, are cooked in over heated oils which can cause inflammation and unneeded calories. Next ask for a whole grain bun or skip the bun all together. Add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles or any other veggies that are available. You can always ask for sliced tomatoes and pickles on the side instead of fries. Try a veggie burger and top with avocado.
Mary Mullen
Nowadays, fast-food burger chains feature more than hamburgers. You’ll find everything from chicken to chili to salads on the menu. Stick with the smallest size burger, or a grilled chicken or grilled fish sandwich, and top it with veggies. Ask for a whole grain bun whenever that is an option. Instead of fries, order a small salad with fat-free dressing, a fresh fruit cup, baby carrots, or a plain baked potato. Skip dessert unless soft-serve ice cream is on the menu -- it’s lower in fat than regular ice cream and provides some bone-building calcium.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Natural Ways to Add Food Coloring to Your Meals
In the 1989 tear-jerker, Steel Magnolias, bride-to-be Shelby (Julia Roberts) permits her adoring fiance to order his own groom’s cake. It’s shaped lik...
What are some healthy food options that I can try?
Andrew WeilAndrew Weil
Eating healthy doesn't mean sticking to tofu and bean sprouts all the time. In this video, I will di...
Who should see a registered dietitian (RD)?
Sarah WordenSarah Worden
Great question! Anyone can benefit from seeing a registered dietitian. Dietitians can provide nutrit...
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Cold-Water Fish?