How can I eat healthier at burger chains?

Mary Mullen
Nowadays, fast-food burger chains feature more than hamburgers. You’ll find everything from chicken to chili to salads on the menu. Stick with the smallest size burger, or a grilled chicken or grilled fish sandwich, and top it with veggies. Ask for a whole grain bun whenever that is an option. Instead of fries, order a small salad with fat-free dressing, a fresh fruit cup, baby carrots, or a plain baked potato. Skip dessert unless soft-serve ice cream is on the menu -- it’s lower in fat than regular ice cream and provides some bone-building calcium.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...
Judy Caplan
Burger chains are making a comeback and popping up everywhere. It is getting easier to eat more healthfully at burger chains. First off, get rid of the fries. Even sweet potato fries. All fries, unless baked, are cooked in over heated oils which can cause inflammation and unneeded calories. Next ask for a whole grain bun or skip the bun all together. Add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles or any other veggies that are available. You can always ask for sliced tomatoes and pickles on the side instead of fries. Try a veggie burger and top with avocado.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Intermittent Fasting: What Really Happens to Your Body
Diet trends come and go. Few stay popular for long, and even fewer are real keepers—healthy, sustainable eating plans designed to keep weight off and ...
What is nutritional counseling?
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
Nutritional counseling allows nutrition to truly be approached individually. A lot of nutrition plan...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?
Why Should I Avoid Trans Fats?