How does fiber affect appetite?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Fiber is a bulking agent in the digestive tract. It slows down digestion, and helps you feel full longer. Fiber does not have calories because humans do not have the necessary enzymes to break it down. Therefore we can’t absorb calories in fiber. Fiber, due to its size and chew, takes a longer time to eat and it takes more effort to eat foods that are high in fiber. The higher volume of fiber foods helps you feel fuller for fewer calories. Studies show that a diet high in fiber, both insoluble and soluble fibers, is more filling and aids in weight loss.

Keri Gans
In a 2009 study, researchers in Toronto fed two groups of people breakfast. The first group got a low-fiber breakfast cereal with 1 percent milk. The second group was given a high-fiber variety (which contained 28.5 grams of fiber per serving), again with 1 percent milk. Three hours after that meal, the researchers gave both groups pizza, and told them to eat until they felt comfortably full. Compared to the group who’d eaten the low-fiber cereal at breakfast, those who’d eaten the high-fiber cereal consumed fewer calories from breakfast and lunch combined. They also said they felt more satisfied.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
How much fiber should I eat per day if I have diabetes?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The recommendation of fiber intake is the same as for the general population. The guidelines come fr...
What is the nutritional content of Japanese persimmons?
Marco Di BuonoMarco Di Buono
A Japanese persimmon can make a very healthy snack. A regular-sized fruit, about 2.5 inches in diame...
What Are Whole Foods and Why Should I Eat Them?