How does carnitine work?

Carnitine is produced by the body in the liver and kidneys. Other parts of the body store and use this nutrient, including muscles and the brain. It aids in the process of turning fat from food into energy. Other forms of carnitine may help in other bodily functions. For instance, acetyl-L-carnitine may help keep the brain from being affected by age-related problems, such as Alzheimer's disease and cognitive deterioration.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
Which food substitutes are best?
Many people are trying to find substitutes for salt, high-fat oil, and butter, but they don't know w...
What is nutritional counseling?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
Nutritional counseling is used to help people set goals and develop strategies to overcome obstacles...
What Foods Are Good Sources of Carotenoids?