How accurate are the nutrition facts on packaged food?

Most consumers are familiar with the Nutrition Facts panel detailing the nutritional content of packaged foods. Most consumers are also familiar with the % daily value numbers listed for many nutrients. What most consumers don’t realize, however, is that these daily values were calculated only for adults, or that they were set in the 1960s and have never been updated.

The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) goal at that time was to help consumers avoid nutritional deficiencies. Over the last 50 years, however, such deficiencies have become uncommon, and the opposite problem has emerged. Today, the FDA’s daily values for three nutrients, vitamin A, zinc and niacin, exceed the tolerable upper intake levels for children age 8 and younger as calculated by the federal Institute of Medicine.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Natural Ways to Add Food Coloring to Your Meals
In the 1989 tear-jerker, Steel Magnolias, bride-to-be Shelby (Julia Roberts) permits her adoring fiance to order his own groom’s cake. It’s shaped lik...
What are micronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Micronutrients are chemical compounds that are needed in small quantities but play a vital role in r...
What nutrients are foods made of?
Pierre DukanPierre Dukan
All food is made up of only three nutrients: carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Every food gets ...
Why Should I Avoid Eating Refined Carbohydrates?