How accurate are the nutrition facts on packaged food?

Most consumers are familiar with the Nutrition Facts panel detailing the nutritional content of packaged foods. Most consumers are also familiar with the % daily value numbers listed for many nutrients. What most consumers don’t realize, however, is that these daily values were calculated only for adults, or that they were set in the 1960s and have never been updated.

The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) goal at that time was to help consumers avoid nutritional deficiencies. Over the last 50 years, however, such deficiencies have become uncommon, and the opposite problem has emerged. Today, the FDA’s daily values for three nutrients, vitamin A, zinc and niacin, exceed the tolerable upper intake levels for children age 8 and younger as calculated by the federal Institute of Medicine.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

What a Pro Athlete’s Poop Might Do for You
Katie Ledecky, Tom Brady and Venus Williams are amazing athletes—but researchers at Harvard University aren’t interested in studying their performance...
What foods should I eat to avoid MSG?
dotFITdotFIT
Monosodium glutamate is a flavor enhancer used in many foods and is very prevalent in Chinese food. ...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
How Can I Reset My Sense of Taste After Giving Up Artificial Sweeteners?