What’s the difference between fiber supplements and dietary fiber?

Dietary fiber refers to those fibers found in natural substances in our diets. Fiber supplements vary. They can be made from natural or synthetic fiber sources. Health care professionals generally prefer that people get their daily fiber intake from their diet via plant-based foods like legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. However, many people find it challenging to get the recommended intake of 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day from their diet. In fact, the average person gets only 10 to 15 grams of fiber per day. Fiber supplements can be used to make up the difference.

Rebecca Katz, MS
Dietary fiber is found in real, whole food, which is much more satisfying; the body does not absorb fiber supplements as easily. In this video, culinary nutritionist Rebecca Katz, MS, explains the difference between dietary fiber and supplements. 

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Getting Too Much Fructose?
Getting Too Much Fructose?
Getting fructed? Webster’s says that edgy-sounding word simply means, “bearing fruit.” It could also stand for participating in the Finnish-Russian Un...
How does what I eat affect my hair?
For your hair to have the shine and shape that you want, it needs protein and healthy fat -- not dir...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Is It Okay to Eat Pasta If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?