What drugs may interact with tryptophan?

Tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) can have severe, even life-threatening interactions with a number of drugs. These include antidepressants that work by enhancing the effects of the neurotransmitter serotonin, such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and others. Drugs that can interact dangerously also include some used to relax you or help you sleep, to relieve anxiety and muscle spasms, or to prevent seizures, such as clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien) and others. Severe interactions are also considered possible for some painkillers, antipsychotics, and cough medicines.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Need to Be Careful With Leftover Rice
Jerry Rice, the Hall-of Fame wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers, has three Super Bowl rings and more records than Frank Sinatra (almost). He’s ...
How does what I eat affect my hair?
For your hair to have the shine and shape that you want, it needs protein and healthy fat -- not dir...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Why Are Food Cravings So Hard to Predict and Resist?