Should I let my doctor know I am taking fiber supplements?

Due to the risk of interactions with other medications, tell your doctor if you take fiber supplements. Because of the number of brands on the market and the variability of their ingredients, fiber supplements interact with a host of other medications and conditions. These supplements may interact with diabetes drugs, antidepressants, cholesterol-lowering drugs, digoxin, carbamazepine, lithium, and others. Additionally, if you have certain conditions or take certain medications, you may be able to take fiber supplements but you need to be watchful of particular ingredients. Psyllium brands may contain salt, so avoid those if you are on a salt-restricted diet. Diabetics should avoid supplements that contain sugar. Do not use supplements that contain polycarbophils if you use the drug tetracycline. People who use coumadin must avoid supplements containing psyllium. People who have phenylketonuria must avoid brands that contain aspartame.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Beware Hidden Sugars in So-called Healthy Foods
Rob Lowe’s remake of the Bad Seed fills you with horror as you (and he) realize his sweet daughter Emma (Mckenna Grace) is actually the personificatio...
What vitamins and minerals do I need for bone health?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
While recommendations used to be for just calcium, we know today that bone health requires a mixture...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Rules to Reset Your Hormones
Rules to Reset Your Hormones