Should I let my doctor know I am taking fiber supplements?

Due to the risk of interactions with other medications, tell your doctor if you take fiber supplements. Because of the number of brands on the market and the variability of their ingredients, fiber supplements interact with a host of other medications and conditions. These supplements may interact with diabetes drugs, antidepressants, cholesterol-lowering drugs, digoxin, carbamazepine, lithium, and others. Additionally, if you have certain conditions or take certain medications, you may be able to take fiber supplements but you need to be watchful of particular ingredients. Psyllium brands may contain salt, so avoid those if you are on a salt-restricted diet. Diabetics should avoid supplements that contain sugar. Do not use supplements that contain polycarbophils if you use the drug tetracycline. People who use coumadin must avoid supplements containing psyllium. People who have phenylketonuria must avoid brands that contain aspartame.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating Fast Food Can Cause Asthma and Other Allergies
One of Americans’ favorite fast food options is Chinese takeout. And that’s good because, with some attention, you can eliminate sugar-added, deep-fri...
What are the benefits of eating micronutrients?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you eat with a focus on maximizing micronutrients in relation to calories, your body function w...
What is toxic hunger?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Toxic hunger is a physical addiction to an unhealthful, low-micronutrient diet. Its symptoms are...
Food Is the Best Source of Most Nutrients