Do I crave a certain food because my body needs its nutrients?

Abby Ellin

Maria Pelchat, an associate professor at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a private research facility in Philadelphia, says that people often claim they crave a certain food for nutritious reasons. So she decided to investigate, placing a group of healthy young adults on a liquid diet rich with vitamins, minerals, and calories. Still their cravings were as strong as ever, suggesting that “nutritional deficits are not necessary for cravings.” This means that chocolate isn’t sought after because it has magnesium, but for psychological reasons. The body “drives them in the direction of food, usually food with sugar and fat,” said Adam Drewnowski, who researches food cravings at the University of Washington’s Center for Public Health Nutrition in Seattle.

Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't) Help

We've been inundated lately with books and articles about childhood obesity. Most offer cultural critique or nutrition and exercise advice — in tones that are alternately appalled and patronizing....

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating Fast Food Can Cause Asthma and Other Allergies
One of Americans’ favorite fast food options is Chinese takeout. And that’s good because, with some attention, you can eliminate sugar-added, deep-fri...
What vitamins and minerals do I need for bone health?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
While recommendations used to be for just calcium, we know today that bone health requires a mixture...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
How Should I Choose Healthy Milk Products?