What conditions do fiber supplements treat and how?

People use fiber supplements to treat a variety of conditions. These may include constipation, being overweight, heart disease, gastrointestinal disease, diabetes, hemorrhoids, and high cholesterol. These supplements work by adding water content and volume to stool. This helps stimulate the muscles of the digestive tract to contract. This enhances the consistency of stool and helps contents move more quickly through the colon. A high-fiber diet or taking fiber supplements has also been shown to make you less hungry and to lower cholesterol levels and blood sugar.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
How are micronutrient deficiencies linked to chronic diseases like cancer?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
In a study, vitamin D deficiency was estimated to account for 29 percent of cancer mortality in men....
What are wet foods?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Wet foods have two properties: high water volume (over 70%) and high fiber. If you bite into it and ...
What Is the Government's Role in the Food Industry?