What is a common insoluble fiber used in daily life?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The best example of an insoluble fiber is wheat bran. Wheat bran is rich in cellulose. Although it is relatively insoluble in water, it has the ability to bind water, thus increasing the fecal size and weight and promoting regular bowel movements.

Picture of wheat bran
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Pros and Cons of Adding Spices to Your Diet
In her acclaimed 1995 series, Cooking with Master Chefs, Julia Child stressed the joys of herbs and spices. To her, the beauty of American cuisine was...
What are micronutrients?
Micronutrients are all the vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and other chemicals we need in small ...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
Should I Include Dairy Products in My Diet?