What is a common insoluble fiber used in daily life?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The best example of an insoluble fiber is wheat bran. Wheat bran is rich in cellulose. Although it is relatively insoluble in water, it has the ability to bind water, thus increasing the fecal size and weight and promoting regular bowel movements.

Picture of wheat bran
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

What’s Good for Your Heart Is Good for Your Brain
Keeping your heart as healthy as possible will likely help your mind. Carra Richling from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine will help you learn how your diet ...
What colorful foods are good sources of nutrients and phytonutrients?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Different foods add a variety of color, texture, shape and flavor to meals and snacks, as well as di...
Which foods are the top dietary sources of lutein and zeaxanthin?
Lona SandonLona Sandon
Lutein is part of the carotenoid family, a cousin of vitamin A, and gives a yellow or orange color t...
Why Should I Avoid Foods Made with White Flour?