Can vinegar help lower my glycemic index (GI)?

Tim Ferriss
Fitness
There's a great deal of evidence for vinegar lowering the glycemic index of a meal by more than 25%. It seems as reliable as any food "rule" could be.

Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar were used in the literature. But acetic acid is acetic acid, so any kind of table vinegar that has at least 5% acetic acid should work if you consume at least 20 milliliters (1.5 tablespoons).

In my trials, neither white vinegar nor balsamic vinegar had a lowering effect on blood sugar. I even drank 3 tablespoons of vinegar before my meals as a last-ditch attempt. Unhappy times in stomach-ville and no discernible benefit. Why no effect? There are a few possible explanations, but the most likely are: I need a higher dose, or vinegar doesn't affect fructose metabolism and showcases its effects in a high-starch meal.
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

Thinner, bigger, faster, stronger... which 150 pages will you read?Is it possible to: Reach your genetic potential in 6 months? Sleep 2 hours per day and perform better than on 8 hours? Lose more fat...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Pros and Cons of Adding Spices to Your Diet
In her acclaimed 1995 series, Cooking with Master Chefs, Julia Child stressed the joys of herbs and spices. To her, the beauty of American cuisine was...
What are the nutritional benefits of eating quinoa?
Julie DanilukJulie Daniluk
Quinoa can help reduce cholesterol: In a 2010 study (1) conducted in the Netherlands, rats bred to h...
Why might I have too much acid in my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Things that contribute to an overly acidic system: Excess animal protein - If you eat animal pro...
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?