Can vinegar help lower my glycemic index (GI)?

Tim Ferriss
Fitness
There's a great deal of evidence for vinegar lowering the glycemic index of a meal by more than 25%. It seems as reliable as any food "rule" could be.

Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar were used in the literature. But acetic acid is acetic acid, so any kind of table vinegar that has at least 5% acetic acid should work if you consume at least 20 milliliters (1.5 tablespoons).

In my trials, neither white vinegar nor balsamic vinegar had a lowering effect on blood sugar. I even drank 3 tablespoons of vinegar before my meals as a last-ditch attempt. Unhappy times in stomach-ville and no discernible benefit. Why no effect? There are a few possible explanations, but the most likely are: I need a higher dose, or vinegar doesn't affect fructose metabolism and showcases its effects in a high-starch meal.
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

Thinner, bigger, faster, stronger... which 150 pages will you read?Is it possible to: Reach your genetic potential in 6 months? Sleep 2 hours per day and perform better than on 8 hours? Lose more fat...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
What colorful foods are good sources of nutrients and phytonutrients?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Different foods add a variety of color, texture, shape and flavor to meals and snacks, as well as di...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Leafy Greens?