Can my child take carnitine?

Carnitine may be safe for infants and children whose bodies cannot naturally make enough of this substance. While in the hospital, some premature infants may be given an intravenous infusion of medication that contains carnitine, in the form of L-carnitine. (Other forms of carnitine, specifically acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine, are rarely given to children.)

Children with certain medical conditions may also need additional carnitine. If you have reason to believe your child could benefit from carnitine, talk with his pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Power of Pistachios, Walnuts, Hazelnuts & Almonds
The Modesto Nuts—a farm team for the Seattle Mariners—adopted its name in 2005 to honor the almonds, walnuts and pistachios that are gown locally. The...
What can I eat for sustained energy?
For sustained energy, combine complex carbohydrates with protein. Snacks to keep you going include l...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Imagine Yourself Eating Healthier
Imagine Yourself Eating Healthier