Is it more important to count calories or carbs?

Kodi Moore

It is important to consume the right amount of calories and carbohydrates to meet your needs. Practicing mindful eating, really listening to your body and eating when you are hungry and stopping when you are satisfied can help you learn to consume the amount of calories your body needs without having to count them. I like the MyPlate model (visit www.myplate.gov for more info) to help ensure I'm getting a good variety of healthy foods in the right proportions. MyPlate splits your plate into 4 quadrants, half your plate should be fruits and vegetables and roughly one quarter should be protein and roughly one quarter should be grains. With one serving of dairy on the side. MyPlate is great for the general population. However, if you have specific needs, an illness, or athletic training needs, for example, consult a registered dietitian for an individualized meal plan.

Toby Smithson

Specifically, carbohydrate intake is important for people with diabetes, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), or elevated triglycerides. Carbohydrate containing foods have a direct effect on blood sugar readings and simple carbohydrates like candy and regular soda have a direct effect on both blood sugar and triglyceride levels. Calories are important for everyone to consider in relation to maintaining a normal weight. USDA recommendations advise to have a balance of carbohydrate, protein and fat containing food. By consuming a balanced diet you will achieve the essential nutrients your body needs for good health.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
From rice and apple juice to beer and infant formula, a growing variety of foods and drinks are turning out to contain arsenic. At high levels, or ove...
What foods can help me stay hydrated?
Low energy can be caused by dehydration, which reduces blood volume to the heart, making it harder t...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Is Innovation?
What Is Innovation?