Are there any risks in taking carnitine?

Carnitine can help treat many disorders and causes very few side effects. It may cause diarrhea when taken in large doses. Your doctor will monitor you carefully, though, if you have cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease or peripheral vascular disease. Do not take carnitine supplements before talking with your doctor if you have any of those medical conditions.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

To Salt or Not to Salt
To Salt or Not to Salt
Yogi Berra once confided, “I didn’t really say everything I said.” We’re not sure if he said that before or after he said “take it with a grin of salt...
How does silicon help keep my body healthy?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Silicon is responsible for cross-linking collagen strands, thereby contributing greatly to the stren...
What is the goal of nutrition counseling?
Nora ClemensNora Clemens
The goal of nutritional counseling will vary according to each person's unique health needs. Weight ...
Should We Be Concerned About Eating Processed Foods?