Will my diet alone help me lose weight?

Exercise is a key component to losing weight and keeping it off and should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen explain why it so important to get moving and keep moving.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Weight loss involves many factors including your environment, behavior change, physical activity and diet. Reducing calories in your diet is the most effective way for most people to lose weight. It is important to see your doctor for physical exams and medical tests to determine if hormones or any disease process may be a factor in an inability to maintain a healthy weight.

Here is the interesting thing:  If your only goal is to lose weight than diet alone can do this. If, however, your goal is to lose weight, keep it off, and increase your fitness then you must combine your diet with an exercise program.

Weight loss is created through calorie reduction but calorie reduction is dramatically enhanced through exercise, increasing lean body mass, and the extra calorie burn you receive for a couple of hours after you exercise (EPOC). You can diet to lose weight but you will only be healthy and fit if you combine this with a good exercise program.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

How to Choose the Right Foods to Fuel Your Weight Loss
Weight loss is hard. As we learned in the previous installments of our Science of Weight Loss series, just when you think you’re doing everything rig...
Can I eat burgers if I'm trying to lose weight?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
The way many of us eat, we make burgers with full-fat beef, add cheese, and then avocado as well. Ho...
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
Cauliflower pizza crust and other prepackaged foods that won’t blow your diet.
Is Eating Organic Foods the Healthiest Choice?