Will my diet alone help me lose weight?

Here is the interesting thing:  If your only goal is to lose weight than diet alone can do this. If, however, your goal is to lose weight, keep it off, and increase your fitness then you must combine your diet with an exercise program.

Weight loss is created through calorie reduction but calorie reduction is dramatically enhanced through exercise, increasing lean body mass, and the extra calorie burn you receive for a couple of hours after you exercise (EPOC). You can diet to lose weight but you will only be healthy and fit if you combine this with a good exercise program.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Weight loss involves many factors including your environment, behavior change, physical activity and diet. Reducing calories in your diet is the most effective way for most people to lose weight. It is important to see your doctor for physical exams and medical tests to determine if hormones or any disease process may be a factor in an inability to maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise is a key component to losing weight and keeping it off and should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen explain why it so important to get moving and keep moving.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
High-Fiber Foods for Better Weight Loss
Make your weight-loss regimen a whole lot easier. Just munch on these high-fiber foods. We're talking about fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, n...
How can eating eggs help me lose weight?
Turn breakfast into a fat-burning morning boost by skipping the stack of pancakes and feasting o...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
Are All Processed Foods Bad for You?
Are All Processed Foods Bad for You?