Why should I eat nuts and seeds if I want to lose weight?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
An important reason to include nuts and seeds in your diet as you lose weight is they prevent the formation of gallstones. Weight loss in general can increase one's risk of gallstone formation, but certainly that is a reasonable risk to take when one considers the ill health and life-threatening effects from significant body fat. It is important to note, as reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, that when over 80,000 women were followed for 20 years it was found that the regular consumption of nuts and seeds offered dramatic protection against gallstone formation. These findings have also been duplicated in men.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Follow This Morning Ritual to Get Slimmer
Ever skip breakfast, secretly hoping you'll fit into your jeans better if you do? It's a natural thought. Less food in your belly means more room in ...
What types of meat should I eat if I want to lose weight?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
Some meats are fattier than others, and varieties break down into very lean meats, lean meats, mediu...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
What Is the Most Critical Medical Issue Americans Face?