Why should I eat nuts and seeds if I want to lose weight?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
An important reason to include nuts and seeds in your diet as you lose weight is they prevent the formation of gallstones. Weight loss in general can increase one's risk of gallstone formation, but certainly that is a reasonable risk to take when one considers the ill health and life-threatening effects from significant body fat. It is important to note, as reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, that when over 80,000 women were followed for 20 years it was found that the regular consumption of nuts and seeds offered dramatic protection against gallstone formation. These findings have also been duplicated in men.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

6 Ways to Eat More and Weigh Less
6 Ways to Eat More and Weigh Less
Everyone who has ever tried to lose weight is on a first-name basis with lettuce. But who isn't bored silly by a bowl of greens with some diced chicke...
What should I drink if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
You never really want to drink calories when you are on any type of diet. You should drink a consist...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss