Why should I avoid low-fat or fat-free packaged foods?

Packaged foods such as cookies and cakes that are marketed as "low-fat" or "fat free" lure people who want to lose weight. But to replace the flavor from fat, these products are loaded with unhealthy refined carbs and simple sugars that spike insulin and actually increase weight gain. What's worse, these insulin spikes also lead to cancer-causing inflammation.

Remember, whenever you buy low-fat and fat-free products, you're also missing out on the good fats, like omega-3s, that have been shown to protect against cancer. What's more, healthy fats actually slow the rate at which carbohydrates are absorbed, so a balanced diet that includes healthy fats actually helps maintain a good weight.

If you want to indulge, buy a full-fat version of a cookie or other product and enjoy it as a treat once in a while. You'll probably eat less of it since you know how much fat it contains, and you're not being tricked into eating more than you should by a low-fat snack product.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Cinnamon: Can It Help You Lose Weight?
Cinnamon: Can It Help You Lose Weight?
Sprudge.com, a website devoted to all things coffee, has determined the Most Annoying Coffee Order Ever: a triple shot, one shot decaf, two shots regu...
How can I eat pork if I'm trying to lose weight?
Keri GansKeri Gans
To enjoy pork without sabotaging your waistline, follow these tips:For the leanest cut, look for t...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What Are the Healthcare Costs of Obesity?