What should I buy at the grocery store for weight loss?

When going to the grocery store there are not any special foods you should eat to lose weight but how much you should eat.  The best way I tell my clients to shop at a grocery store is shop the perimeter of the store.  On the outside of the store you have your fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish and dairy. These are all things your body needs.  Most things down the isles are all processed foods which you really don't need.  Losing weight is simple math burn more calories than you take in.  So if you are tracking everything right you will always hit your goal.
Kristine Duncan
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

While most foods can fit nicely into a weight loss-eating plan, there are some I've found to be particularly helpful because they're so low in calories. We can have a pretty generous serving of most vegetables without adding too much to our daily tally. So, be sure to fill your cart with fresh, canned, or frozen green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, and cucumbers, to name a few. You could even be adventurous and try one of my favorites, Brussels sprouts. I also rely on the lower calorie bread options regularly, like "light" bread (usually just smaller, thinner slices) and small corn tortillas. And, we all need snacks, right? My go-to favorite is air-popped popcorn.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you want to lose weight, shop the perimeter of the store for the healthiest foods. That is where you’ll find all the fresh produce and lean protein foods. Avoid the inner aisles, as they are filled with processed foods, chips, cookies and other snack foods that add calories and bad fats to your diet.

At the grocery store, make a point to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Not only are these foods healthy for you, but they will also fill you up so you eat less at mealtime.

Also buy some flavored water or diet sodas and substitute these for sugary beverages and juices. Avoid buying alcohol as it just adds more calories.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Follow This Morning Ritual to Get Slimmer
Ever skip breakfast, secretly hoping you'll fit into your jeans better if you do? It's a natural thought. Less food in your belly means more room in ...
What should I drink if I'm on a slow-carb diet?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
You can't drink calories on a slow-carb diet. Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweete...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Is a Gluten-Free Diet Really a Healthy Way to Take Off Pounds?