What should I buy at the grocery store for weight loss?

Kristine Duncan

While most foods can fit nicely into a weight loss-eating plan, there are some I've found to be particularly helpful because they're so low in calories. We can have a pretty generous serving of most vegetables without adding too much to our daily tally. So, be sure to fill your cart with fresh, canned, or frozen green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, and cucumbers, to name a few. You could even be adventurous and try one of my favorites, Brussels sprouts. I also rely on the lower calorie bread options regularly, like "light" bread (usually just smaller, thinner slices) and small corn tortillas. And, we all need snacks, right? My go-to favorite is air-popped popcorn.

When going to the grocery store there are not any special foods you should eat to lose weight but how much you should eat.  The best way I tell my clients to shop at a grocery store is shop the perimeter of the store.  On the outside of the store you have your fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish and dairy. These are all things your body needs.  Most things down the isles are all processed foods which you really don't need.  Losing weight is simple math burn more calories than you take in.  So if you are tracking everything right you will always hit your goal.
If you want to lose weight, shop the perimeter of the store for the healthiest foods. That is where you’ll find all the fresh produce and lean protein foods. Avoid the inner aisles, as they are filled with processed foods, chips, cookies and other snack foods that add calories and bad fats to your diet.

At the grocery store, make a point to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Not only are these foods healthy for you, but they will also fill you up so you eat less at mealtime.

Also buy some flavored water or diet sodas and substitute these for sugary beverages and juices. Avoid buying alcohol as it just adds more calories.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

A Sweet Treat That Slims You Down
A Sweet Treat That Slims You Down
Next time you want to sweeten your oatmeal, should you use molasses, or brown sugar? If you're watching your waistline, the answer may be molasses. I...
What are some nutrition tips to help me lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
First and foremost start keeping a food log. Keeping track of what you eat is the number one key to ...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?