What grains and starches should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Manuel Villacorta
Grains and starches (G&S) are carbohydrates, which include pastas, breads, rice, cereals, and beans. This group also includes starchy vegetables, like potatoes, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, and yams. When it comes to grains, variation is the key if you want to lose weight. Mix it up and try less-common options like faro and quinoa. Quinoa is relatively new to the United States, but it's been a staple of the Peruvian diet for more than five thousand years. Because of its energy-boosting, high-protein quotient, it was treated like gold by the Incas, who traded it as one of their most precious commodities. Some of the best grains and starches include:
  • Brown rice
  • Farro
  • Quinoa
  • Steel cut oats
  • Sweet potatoes
I recommend that you consume a variety of G&S throughout the week to optimize your nutritional intake, so mix up your diet with wheat, quinoa, brown rice, and more. For example, if you have cereal for breakfast, maybe add quinoa or beans at lunch and sweet potatoes at dinner.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Get Slim: Take a Lunch Break!
Get Slim: Take a Lunch Break!
Eating lunch at your desk? Good for productivity, maybe. But very bad for your waistline. Research confirms it. Seems that eating when your mind is so...
Will a shake help me lose weight?
If you choose to replace a meal with a liquid (shake) meal, it may help you with weight loss – b...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What Can Our Society Do to Solve the Obesity Crisis?