What grains and starches should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Manuel Villacorta
Grains and starches (G&S) are carbohydrates, which include pastas, breads, rice, cereals, and beans. This group also includes starchy vegetables, like potatoes, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, and yams. When it comes to grains, variation is the key if you want to lose weight. Mix it up and try less-common options like faro and quinoa. Quinoa is relatively new to the United States, but it's been a staple of the Peruvian diet for more than five thousand years. Because of its energy-boosting, high-protein quotient, it was treated like gold by the Incas, who traded it as one of their most precious commodities. Some of the best grains and starches include:
  • Brown rice
  • Farro
  • Quinoa
  • Steel cut oats
  • Sweet potatoes
I recommend that you consume a variety of G&S throughout the week to optimize your nutritional intake, so mix up your diet with wheat, quinoa, brown rice, and more. For example, if you have cereal for breakfast, maybe add quinoa or beans at lunch and sweet potatoes at dinner.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Eat On-The-Go Without Getting Fat
Eat On-The-Go Without Getting Fat
In the midst of traveling, your thoughts are typically set on the destination ahead—not on the food you’ll eat along the way. Unfortunately, when hung...
Will a shake help me lose weight?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
As a registered dietitian, I have seen some people drop pounds using weight loss shakes. Often that ...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?