What should I drink if I'm trying to lose weight?

Cutting out sugary sodas can go a long way toward improving your health and helping you lose weight. Water is the ideal beverage, with a twist of lemon or lime for extra flavor. Unsweetened tea and coffee also will keep your calorie count down, and they may have some other health benefits. 
F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Fluids are a source of nutrition and calories. Some beverages are particularly good choices. For example, skim milk is an excellent source of calcium and protein, and it is as good as whole milk but with far fewer calories. If you are lactose-intolerant, similar benefits can be obtained from drinking soy milk or skim milk containing Lactaid, an enzyme that breaks down the sugars that produce symptoms of lactose intolerance.

People who don't like skim milk will find that this preference is simply based on experience, and it can be changed after a month or so of using it instead of whole milk. You can get the same result more slowly and perhaps more easily by switching in stages -- to 2 percent, 1 percent, and then finally to fat-free milk.

Most fruit juices have no protein, are abundant in simple sugars, and should be drunk only sparingly. If you drink fruit juice, it should be unsweetened and calcium-fortified. Unsweetened or artificially sweetened teas and coffees have relatively little nutritional value, but they can be enjoyed without concern about calories.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

If you're looking for an alternative to juice that's more flavorful than plain water, try a refreshing beverage made from tea leaves. In this video, Dr. Oz shares the details.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Boost Metabolism with Spicy Foods for Weight Loss
Want to boost your metabolism, burn more fat, and lose weight faster? Add spicy fare to your diet. That's right. Adding spice, such as hot peppers, t...
Can I eat fats and carbohydrates if I want to lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Yes! Healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, nuts, seeds, nut butters, and olives help keep you satia...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
How Do You Define Quality Food?
How Do You Define Quality Food?