Should I consume more vitamins if I'm trying to lose weight?

No matter what type of weight-loss plan you choose to cut calories, you'll make a big mistake if you don't take care of your nutrient needs. A study conducted by researchers at Stanford University found that four popular weight-loss plans didn't take vitamin demands into account, meaning that people losing pounds were also losing important health benefits. The researchers identified vitamins A, C, E, and K as the most depleted in dieters.

The takeaway: Pay attention to your vitamin needs if you change your eating plan. Consider taking a multivitamin when cutting calories to keep your immune system strong.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Burn More Calories with This Sandwich Choice
Energy used for digestion accounts for a good chunk of your daily calorie burn. And you can boost that burn even higher just by choosing whole-grain b...
What are low caloric-density foods?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Low caloric density foods means that the calorie per bite of the food is low compared to higher calo...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What Is a Balanced Diet?
What Is a Balanced Diet?