Is carob powder a good substitute for chocolate?

Carob powder is made from the roasted pods of the Ceratonia siliqua tree, while chocolate comes from the pods of the Cacao tree. Carob powder tastes somewhat like chocolate and can be used as a chocolate substitute in candy, beverages and baking. Carob powder has a naturally sweet taste, is low in calories (13 calories per tablespoon), has very little fat and no caffeine. When using carob powder in place of cocoa powder in baking, you won't need as much sugar. Carob powder can also be mixed with fat-free milk or added to smoothies.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

3 Little Eating Changes With Big Weight Loss Benefits
When you think of losing weight, do you think of feeling hungry all the time, eating foods that taste like cardboard and never having another bowl of...
What are some ways to satisfy cravings if I'm trying to lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
There isn't a day when I don't have a food craving -- and it's not for broccoli or carrot sticks...
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
Cauliflower pizza crust and other prepackaged foods that won’t blow your diet.
Is Eating Organic Foods the Healthiest Choice?