Is carob powder a good substitute for chocolate?

Carob powder is made from the roasted pods of the Ceratonia siliqua tree, while chocolate comes from the pods of the Cacao tree. Carob powder tastes somewhat like chocolate and can be used as a chocolate substitute in candy, beverages and baking. Carob powder has a naturally sweet taste, is low in calories (13 calories per tablespoon), has very little fat and no caffeine. When using carob powder in place of cocoa powder in baking, you won't need as much sugar. Carob powder can also be mixed with fat-free milk or added to smoothies.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Lose Weight: Avoid 3 Temptations for Diet Success
Ever wonder why you ordered the four-cheese pizza with pepperoni and sausage instead of that salad? Or why you can't keep your hands off those adorabl...
How can I eat pork if I'm trying to lose weight?
Keri GansKeri Gans
To enjoy pork without sabotaging your waistline, follow these tips:For the leanest cut, look for t...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss