How should I eat nuts and seeds if I want to lose weight?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
If you are significantly overweight and want to maximize your weight loss, you should limit your intake of seeds, nuts, and avocados to one 1-ounce serving a day since they are calorie-rich. However, you should not exclude these healthy, high-fat foods completely from your diet. Although it may seem illogical to include such high fat foods in your diet (since fat is 9 calories a gram compared with 4 calories a gram for carbohydrates and protein), epidemiological studies show an inverse relationship between seed and nut consumption and body weight. Interestingly, these studies show including some seeds and nuts in your diet actually aids in appetite suppression and weight loss. Well-controlled trials that looked to see if eating nuts and seeds resulted in weight gain found the opposite; eating raw nuts and seeds promoted weight loss, not weight gain.

Because seeds and nuts are rich in minerals and fiber and have a low glycemic index, they are favorable foods to include in a diet designed for diabetics and even the obese.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Get Slim: Take a Lunch Break!
Get Slim: Take a Lunch Break!
Eating lunch at your desk? Good for productivity, maybe. But very bad for your waistline. Research confirms it. Seems that eating when your mind is so...
What are some nutrition tips to help me lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
First and foremost start keeping a food log. Keeping track of what you eat is the number one key to ...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
How Do You Persuade the American Public They Have to Take Nutrition Seriously?