How can eating hot peppers help me lose weight?

Add some heat to your meals and you'll boost not only the taste but also the effectiveness of your weight loss diet. A dash of cayenne pepper or some diced jalapeno or red peppers will do the trick. They all contain capsaicin -- the heat-inducing compound in red peppers that, according to research, tamps down appetite and curbs food intake later in the day.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
A little bit of heat can make your metabolism burn extra calories, says registered dietician Ashley Koff. In this video, Koff talks about the weight-loss boost you can get from hot peppers.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Diet Quality or Calories—What Matters More for Weight Loss?
The standard advice for losing weight has long been to eat fewer calories than you burn. But a new study suggests this might not paint the whole pictu...
How can the time of day when I eat affect my weight loss?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Different experts have different theories about the time of day you should eat if you want to lose w...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Is a Gluten-Free Diet Really a Healthy Way to Take Off Pounds?