How can eating beans help me lose weight?

Maybe they're called "magical fruit" in children's rhymes for a reason -- just not for the flatulence-producing reasons kids obsess about. What really makes beans magical is their potential effect on your waistline: Bean eaters weigh less on average than non-bean-imbibing folks do.

In fact, bean eaters weigh as much as 6.6 pounds less, according to RealAge expert John La Puma, MD, author of ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine. It makes sense when you consider beans are full of fiber and protein but low in fat, which means a serving will keep you going far beyond the need-to-munch hour but only make a minor dent in your calorie intake.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

4 Unexpected Smoothie Mix-Ins That Boost Weight Loss
Some smoothies aren't as healthy as you might think. If you're overloading your blender, even with healthy ingredients, you could be consuming too man...
What nutritional requirements should I consider to maintain or lose weight?
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RDLaura Motosko, MSEd, RD
Reducing calories in your diet is an effective way for most people to lose weight. Long term healthy...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
What's Wrong With the American Healthcare System Today?