How can eating beans help me lose weight?

Maybe they're called "magical fruit" in children's rhymes for a reason -- just not for the flatulence-producing reasons kids obsess about. What really makes beans magical is their potential effect on your waistline: Bean eaters weigh less on average than non-bean-imbibing folks do.

In fact, bean eaters weigh as much as 6.6 pounds less, according to RealAge expert John La Puma, MD, author of ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine. It makes sense when you consider beans are full of fiber and protein but low in fat, which means a serving will keep you going far beyond the need-to-munch hour but only make a minor dent in your calorie intake.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

3 Little Eating Changes With Big Weight Loss Benefits
When you think of losing weight, do you think of feeling hungry all the time, eating foods that taste like cardboard and never having another bowl of...
How many calories should I eat to lose weight?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Everyone is unique. Depending on your age, weight, and -- to some extent -- your body type, you'll v...
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
Cauliflower pizza crust and other prepackaged foods that won’t blow your diet.
Should I Eat a European Diet?
Should I Eat a European Diet?