How can I eat sweets and lose weight?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
Instead of totally eliminating sweets from your meal plan, allow yourself to enjoy one of your favorite low- calorie treats once a week. This will keep you from overeating due to deprivation, gives you something to look forward to and could help eliminate a pound a week! Just be smart about your portion sizes. The 100 calorie snack packs sound like a good idea, but if they're loaded with high fructose corn syrup or processed grains they may actually stimulate the brain to seek out more food because they really don't offer nutrients to satisfy brain hunger.
If you like sweets but also want to lose weight, you can try these tips:

• Eat a small serving of something special such as your favorite dessert instead of a large serving of something ordinary.
  • When you're eating out, split desserts with a friend or family member.
  • Cut back on the amounts of sugar and fat in your favorite recipes.
  • Try new recipes for lower-calorie sweets.
  • Satisfy your sweet tooth with fresh or dried fruit.
  • Choose lower-calorie, lower-fat versions of your favorite desserts.
  • Use a low-calorie sweetener instead of sugar for your coffee or tea.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Eat On-The-Go Without Getting Fat
Eat On-The-Go Without Getting Fat
In the midst of traveling, your thoughts are typically set on the destination ahead—not on the food you’ll eat along the way. Unfortunately, when hung...
How should I eat if I want to lose weight?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Altering the quality as well as the quantity of food that you eat is important when you are trying t...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Should Cities Ban Large Sodas?
Should Cities Ban Large Sodas?