How should I eat sushi if I'm trying to lose weight?

Keri Gans
Here’s how to have your sushi and eat it, too:
  • Start your meal with low-calorie miso soup or a side salad of mixed greens with dressing on the side.
  • Swap shrimp tempura or soft-shell crab rolls for California or shrimp/cucumber rolls.
  • Order sushi made with brown rice if available—not to save calories, but for the health benefits of whole grains.
  • Limit yourself to two rolls (yellowtail/scallion, tuna/avocado, etc.). Also, order only one roll that contains avocado.
  • If you order sushi that contains fish eggs (roe), limit yourself to one roll with roe. While roe contains just 20 calories per tablespoon, most rolls that use roe are the specialty kind, which will typically contain more than one tablespoon of roe. (If you eat six or eight pieces, the calories can definitely add up.)
  • Avoid sushi prepared with mayonnaise, such as spicy tuna rolls, or added sauce.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Food Additive That Makes You Fat?
Food Additive That Makes You Fat?
To keep your waistline trim, you might want to make sure this flavor enhancer doesn't make its way into your mouth: MSG, or monosodium glutamate. MSG...
Do we have toxic water in our bodies that prevent weight loss?
dotFITdotFIT
The short answer is NO. When our calorie intake consistently exceeds or matches our calorie burn, we...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?