How should I eat if I have a pear body type and want to lose weight?

Pears are plagued by what many of you may know as “junk in the trunk.” Pears carry most of their weight on their lower hips, thighs, and butt, and perhaps most frustrating of all, a stubborn pooch of tummy fat. While it may take longer to accumulate this kind of fat, it’s also much harder to get rid of. Why? This kind of fat is influenced by estrogen, according to nutrition specialist Dr. Jeffrey Morrison. And estrogen makes fat. When a woman gets pregnant, estrogen spikes (which is why many women keep the weight on long after the baby is born). When a woman has a heavy period, estrogen spikes -- making more fat. The good news is that this kind of fat is not as dangerous as belly fat, but it may be more unsightly, as it can become that cheesy, cellulite-type fat that is every woman’s nightmare.

The secret for pear shapes who want to lose weight: high-fiber foods. Fiber binds to the estrogen in your gut and carries it out of your body when you go to the bathroom. Keeping your body’s estrogen in balance in this manner can enhance your weight-loss efforts and improve your silhouette.

Try these high-fiber foods:
  • Edamame is rich in phytoestrogens to regulate your estrogen levels.
  • Whole-wheat pasta is a great swap for regular pasta that will fill you up fast.
  • Figs are a fruit with one of the highest levels of fiber. If you have a sweet tooth, dried figs are a healthy way to help you get your fix.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

4 Ways to Make Healthy Eating Easier
4 Ways to Make Healthy Eating Easier
Plan your meals. Start each day knowing when and what you're going to eat. That way, you'll avert the 180-degree shift between starving and gorging ...
How can eating healthy foods help me lose weight?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Healthier foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and multigrain products tend to stay with ...
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
What Is the Most Critical Medical Issue Americans Face?