How should I eat bread if I want to lose weight?

Keri Gans
Here are ways to eat bread if you want to lose weight:
  • Sandwich bread: Try to stick with sliced bread of a standard-sandwich size—leave the oversized loaves on the shelf. My rule of thumb: per slice, 100 calories, max, and 3 grams of fiber, minimum.
  • Pita bread and wraps: Check the serving size on the Nutrition Facts label. One large wrap may count as two servings.
  • Bagels: Scoop out the inside and opt for low-fat fillings and spreads.
  • Specialty breads and rolls: French or Italian bread, or hard or soft rolls, shouldn’t be an everyday choice—they’re typically high in calories but light on fiber.
What about croissants, biscuits, and dinner rolls? Well, if you can find a whole-grain version with at least three grams of fiber, you can have it. But count it as your carb serving—have one, enjoy it, and stop.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Is Breakfast the Most Important Meal for Weight Loss?
You've heard it before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But is it really pivotal for weight loss? Most research concludes a morning ...
How do carbohydrates work together with proteins and fats?
Carbohydrates, proteins, and fat work together to give your body the nutrients it needs. These three...
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss7 Effortless Eating Hacks for Summer Weight Loss
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
How Can Government Fight Childhood Obesity?