How should I eat bread if I want to lose weight?

Keri Gans
Here are ways to eat bread if you want to lose weight:
  • Sandwich bread: Try to stick with sliced bread of a standard-sandwich size—leave the oversized loaves on the shelf. My rule of thumb: per slice, 100 calories, max, and 3 grams of fiber, minimum.
  • Pita bread and wraps: Check the serving size on the Nutrition Facts label. One large wrap may count as two servings.
  • Bagels: Scoop out the inside and opt for low-fat fillings and spreads.
  • Specialty breads and rolls: French or Italian bread, or hard or soft rolls, shouldn’t be an everyday choice—they’re typically high in calories but light on fiber.
What about croissants, biscuits, and dinner rolls? Well, if you can find a whole-grain version with at least three grams of fiber, you can have it. But count it as your carb serving—have one, enjoy it, and stop.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

6 Ways to Eat More and Weigh Less
6 Ways to Eat More and Weigh Less
Everyone who has ever tried to lose weight is on a first-name basis with lettuce. But who isn't bored silly by a bowl of greens with some diced chicke...
Which foods cause me to gain the most weight?
Hiral ModiHiral Modi
It’s not type of food that causes weight gain. Its total calories that you eat matters. It’s true ea...
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's6 Low-Calorie Foods To Buy at Trader Joe's
Cauliflower pizza crust and other prepackaged foods that won’t blow your diet.
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss
6 Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss