How should I eat if I have an apple body type and want to lose weight?

People with an apple body type have a tendency to put on belly fat, may have round faces, have humps on their upper backs, and may have thin legs. Traditional methods of weight loss like cutting calories and aggressive exercise routines do not work for this body type, according to nutrition specialist Dr. Jeffrey Morrison.

Why? A low-calorie diet and too much exercise translate as starvation and stress to this body type, which can increase the production of cortisol, the stress hormone. Increased amounts of cortisol can slow metabolism and is known to contribute to belly fat and an increased waist size. Cortisol also floods the body with sugar. When your body does not use it for energy, it gets stored as fat. Belly fat is especially dangerous because it surrounds so many of your vital organs.

According to Dr. Morrison, apples should eat foods low on the glycemic index. One way to do this is by cutting out carbs. Carbs spike blood sugar, so reducing or eliminating them from your diet would prevent this and keep cortisol controlled. The less cortisol, the less belly fat.

Apples can replace simple carbs with the following foods:

• Lentils, which are packed with protein and require more energy for the body to break down.
  • Red pepper hummus, also rich in protein; the spices can also boost metabolism.
  • Eggplant makes a great carb substitute. When used in certain recipes, such as an eggplant  lasagna, it gives you the same density and texture as pasta.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Belly-Flattening Breakfast Choices
Belly-Flattening Breakfast Choices
Need weight-loss help? This will make a big belly difference: Start your day with a high-protein breakfast (think eggs, maybe in a frittata). This shi...
Will the food additive MSG make me gain weight?
MSG is a food additive used in restaurant and processed foods to boost flavor, but research shows mo...
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss5 Essential Foods for Weight Loss
Want to shed pounds? These five foods can help you reach your weight-loss goals.
How Bad Is America's Obesity Problem?
How Bad Is America's Obesity Problem?